Friday, June 30, 2006

Extended Warranties?

I outlined a series, I say, a series of D-ism posts today, but I’m going to throw a consumer dilemma out there for your input.

I bought a new laptop at Staples in March of ’05. I bought another new laptop on Wednesday. In between, I had dealings with their repair and extended warranty departments. I had never purchased an extended warranty for anything before, but with the mobile and somewhat delicate nature of laptops, I thought I’d give it a shot, particularly for only $169. I don’t know if I received adequate service or not. What I did get was a whole lot better than nothing, but I wonder what my readers think.

I was about three months beyond the normal one-year warranty when I found out that my machine was “un-repairable” (after they had it for four weeks). The in house department that deals with such things told me that I could have a merchandise card to buy a new laptop. With tax and extended warranty, my laptop came to almost exactly $1000 last year. They are sending me an in-store credit for about $690. I bought a new machine this week for 899, plus tax, plus another 2-year in-house warranty, so, about $1100. I was happy with my old computer (other than the recent problem that sidelined it) and I had no desire to pay $400 + to get another laptop. I’m not a complainer, but should I take the trouble to argue for a few more bucks? At the very least, I should be able to transfer some of my old extended service plan to my new laptop (I didn’t think of that in the store).

I don’t like raising a stink, and I don’t think I was ill treated, but I want to be a good steward with my church’s money. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated as I am new to this business.

2 comments:

Neil said...

My laptops don't seem to last much past two years; I'm pretty hard on them.

The last time one died on me was the fall of 2004. Tropical Depression (formerly hurricane) Francis went over the house with a driving northeast rain. The wind forced the rain under the patio door; it pooled in the eating area until it found the heating vent. Flowed down into the vent until it found a seam, and then drip-dripped onto my sleeping laptop all night long in the office in the basement. Saved the data, but that was it. They didn't really go in for this story at work, but it was true.

Garry Weaver said...

I'm the same way. I don't ever think of all the things that I wish I would have said until later. That adds to my frustration. My advice is that you drive your Suburban (not a wimpy little Toyota) back to the store and go all Rambo on 'em. That'll learn 'em.