Saturday, March 04, 2006

Reading the Church Fathers

Dr. Michael Haykin has posted helpful advice on where to begin reading the Church Fathers. He mentions Diognetus, a fascinating, very early document. I have posted a little teaser below in my previous post.

You don’t have to go to a big library to find these documents. You can find them online at www.ccel.org or even download some of them for E-Sword (look for Ante-Nicene Fathers).

What C.S. Lewis called ‘chronological snobbery’ has infected the church, big-time. I must admit that I am influenced by the ‘new is better’ bug and tend to discount things that are old more than I would care to admit. This is silly, and if I think about it, I know that it is not true. For needed perspective, I go and re-read C.S. Lewis’ introduction to Athanasius on the Incarnation once in a while (also published as an essay, On the Reading of Old Books). If you haven’t read this piece of wisdom, click on the link and read it ASAP.

So many books, so little time. We ought to read the classics that have withstood the test of time (I’m preaching to myself again). However, we must first treasure time in God’s Word above all other reading.

Have a wonderful Sunday!

No comments: