Saturday, August 05, 2006

Sometimes a Light Surprises

In his book The Discipline of Grace, Jerry Bridges makes a brief personal reflection on Habakkuk 3:17-19:

Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. GOD, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer's; he makes me tread on my high places.

These verses, in turn, got me singing Sometimes a Light Surprises from Indelible Grace II. That's not a bad thing. I haven't heard any earlier version, but I sure like this new one.

Suffering and sorrow is redeemed in God's providential care. Cowper knew sorrow, and God's grace. Instead of making my Sunday hymn post long, go and read this biography to get the rest of the story - or at least some more of his story.

1. Sometimes a light surprises
The Christian while he sings;
It is the Lord Who rises
With healing in His wings:
When comforts are declining,
He grants the soul again
A season of clear shining,
To cheer it after the rain

2. In holy contemplation
We sweetly then pursue
The theme of God’s salvation,
And find it ever new;
Set free from present sorrow,
We cheerfully can say,
Let the unknown tomorrow
Bring with it what it may.

3. Tomorrow can bring us nothing,
But He will bear us through:
Who gives the lilies clothing
Will clothe His people, too:
Beneath the spreading heavens
No creature but is fed;
And He Who feeds the ravens
Will give His children bread.

4. Though vine nor fig tree neither
Their wonted fruit should bear,
Though all the fields should wither,
Nor flocks or herds be there
Yet, God the same abiding,
His praise shall tune my voice;
For, while in Him confiding,
I cannot but rejoice.

This version: ©2001 Kevin Twit Music.
Original lyrics by William Cowper (1731-1800)

2 comments:

Ian Hugh Clary said...

I feel bad for Kevin that his last name is Twit!

Terry said...

I'm sure Jr. High wasn't a picnic for him!