Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Book Questions

I’ve been tagged by Ian over at Ruminations by the Lake. At first glance, his “books” project looked like fun. The more I’ve thought about this, however, the more daunting it seemed. I’m putting in more than one for some of these because it is hard to decide.

Disclaimer: I'm not including the Bible in my book selection. It would be the obvious choice for some of these.

1) One book that changed your life

Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton, particularly the chapter, “The Paradoxes of Christianity.” I often think about Dallimore’s two volumes on Whitefield as well. The Gagging of God by D.A. Carson influenced me, as did a few C.S. Lewis books, particularly his essay collections.

2) One book that you’ve read more than once:

The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis. It gets better every time. I think a know some of the people in that book. I've read the Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit and the Chronicles of Narnia several times as well.

3) One book you’d want on a deserted island

The Death of Death in the Death of Christ by John Owen. Maybe I’d finally finish it. Besides, when you’re alone, what could be more important than Owen’s subject matter?

4) One book that made you laugh:

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome. It's goofy, but amusing.

5) One book that made you cry:

This is a tough one. I can’t think of any, though I know I have been moved by several books. I know that I had a lump in my throat reading parts of Edmund Clowney’s The Unfolding Mystery.

6) One book that you wish had been written:

A commentary on Romans by C.H. Spurgeon. I would love to see the fruit of his genius applied to a consecutive, systematic study through a book, particularly Romans.

7) One book that you wish had never been written:

A Wideness in God’s Mercy by Clark Pinnock (or several others by him). It is a shame to see Pinnock’s intellect and winsome manner off the rails, particularly when you see where he was earlier.

8) One book that you are currently reading:

The Discipline of Grace by Jerry Bridges. Highly recommended.

9) One book you’ve been meaning to read:

Religious Affections by Jonathan Edwards

3 comments:

Ian Hugh Clary said...

Alright, finally!!
What part's of Clowney's book got you choked up?

Terry said...

Ooo ... that's getting personal!

Alright, I'll admit that when I read about Solomon - after all his blessings - worshipping other gods on the high places with his back turned to Jerusalem I was struck how much like me this was. That made me think for a while. Clowney's evocative language made this familiar story hit home.

Ian Hugh Clary said...

It's awesome when a book can hit so close to home. As I said in my post, it was Boice's What Ever Happened to the Gospel of Grace that hit home for me.
Cool pic!