Friday, December 09, 2005

Feed My Sheep Quote

“When you hear people speak about how to build a great congregation, few and far between are those who say it comes essentially by the preaching of the Word.  And we know why, because it comes by the preaching of the Word slowly; slowly, immeasurably, sometimes invisibly, and hence we are back to our problem.  If you want to see quick results, the preaching of the Word just might not be the way to go.  If you are going to find results in terms of statistics, numbers, and visible response, it just might be that there are other mechanisms, other programs, and other means that will produce that faster.  The question is whether it produces Christians.”
(Mohler, Jr, R. Albert, The Primacy of Preaching, in Feed My Sheep, Don Kistler, General Editor, Soli Deo Gloria Publications, 2002, Page 17-18.)

2 comments:

Dan Sudfeld said...

Great quote. Keep preaching the Word, Terry.
I would encourage you to go to the Shepherd's Conference in LA in March. Dr. Mohler is one of the keynote speakers, along with RC Sproul, Mark Dever, Ligon Duncan and of course, MacArthur. I'll be going with a guy (maybe more) from our church. And I know Tim Challies will also be liveblogging from there. It'd be great to have a big Canadian contingent. Check it out at http://www.gracechurch.org/shepnew/

Terry said...

Thanks for the invite, Dan.

I'd love to go, but I'd also love to go to Together for the Gospel in Louisville in April. Great lineup there, and I might get a chance to get caught up with Steve Wellum from SBTS - I took a few classes from him at NBS. In terms of making Canadian contacts, Shepherd's conference would be better, though. Food for thought!