Saturday, November 04, 2006

Thy Mercy, My God

My Sunday hymn comes with a note this week. I should say something about my lack of blogging!

Rebecca is encouraging expressing of thankfulness these days. That's a good thing. Of the many things I'm thankful for, I'm thankful that I don't have to blog every day. I like blogging, and I have had some thoughts for posts this week, but I have been really busy with sermon, Sunday School and Bible Study preparation this week.

We're leaving for Vancouver tomorrow after a potluck at the church. Our Fellowship Baptist National Convention starts Monday afternoon. We're going as a family because it is so close this year (only a 10 hour drive, if the roads are good). Because I'm away next week, I have been working on two messages this week - that's unusual for me!

I may post some next week. The hotel is supposed to have wireless, and my other study work is in pretty good shape right now.

Now, here is this week's hymn. It, too, expresses thankful thoughts on very important matters!

1. Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song,
The joy of my heart. and the boast of my tongue;
Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last,
Hath won my affections, and bound my soul fast.

2. Without Thy sweet mercy I could not live here;
Sin would reduce me to utter despair;
But, through Thy free goodness, my spirits revive,
And He that first made me still keeps me alive.

3. Thy mercy is more than a match for my heart,
Which wonders to feel its own hardness depart;
Dissolved by Thy goodness, I fall to the ground,
And weep to the praise of the mercy I’ve found.

4. Great Father of mercies, Thy goodness I own,
And the covenant love of Thy crucified Son;
All praise to the Spirit, Whose whisper divine
Seals mercy, and pardon, and righteousness mine.
All praise to the Spirit, Whose whisper divine
Seals mercy, and pardon, and righteousness mine.

©2001 Same Old Dress Music (ASCAP).

John Stocker (published works in 1776)

No comments: