I fell off the Sunday hymn post bandwagon so long ago that I forgot what it looks like. I won't make any promises that I'll be back next week. I heard this hymn on the Indelible Grace IV - Beams of Heaven CD. I keep thinking about it. It is very profound, and more than a little bit scary.
1. I asked the Lord that I might grow in faith and love and every grace
Might more of His salvation know And seek more earnestly His face
2. Twas He who taught me thus to pray and He I trust has answered prayer
But it has been in such a way as almost drove me to despair
3. I hoped that in some favored hour at once He'd answer my request
And by His love's constraining power subdue my sins and give me rest
4. Instead of this He made me feel the hidden evils of my heart
And let the angry powers of Hell assault my soul in every part
5. Yea more with His own hand he seemed Intent to aggravate my woe Crossed all the fair designs I schemed, cast out my feelings, laid me low
6. Lord why is this, I trembling cried, “wilt Thou pursue thy worm to death?” "Tis in this way" The Lord replied "I answer prayer for grace and faith"
7. “These inward trials I employ from self and pride to set thee free
And break thy schemes of earthly joy that thou mayest seek thy all in me, That thou mayest seek thy all in me.”
John Newton, 1725-1807