Saturday, June 16, 2007

Dr. D.A. Carson

I like to listen to sermons, lectures, interviews and the like. I listen when I go to the gymn (not often enough) when I drive (via my iPod and an FM transmitter) and when I'm working around the house (thankfully my wife and older children enjoy listening to these messages too).

I have been helped by folks like C.J. Mahaney, John Piper, Mark Dever, R.C. Sproul, Albert Mohler, Alistair Begg and many others. Lately I have been listening to more of D.A. Carson. I have appreciated Dr. Carson's books and messages for over two decades now. I first heard him when I was a student at Northwest Baptist Theological College in 1985 at a conference called "Basic Baptist Beliefs." Two messages particularly stand out from that conference. The first was a message on Ephesians 4 and the second was on contextualization.

Before the conference, I was sitting with a couple of "older" pastors (who must have been in their 30s) in the back row of Faith Baptist Church. They were talking about Carson's days at Northwest. They said he was a real egghead - way too profound for normal people to follow. They didn't expect much from the conference. To their credit, after that first message they changed their tune and admitted that he was an excellent communicator. I was blown away. I own many of his books now, and have benefitted from them immensely.

Back to the MP3s. Thanks to the great work of a blogger that I hadn't come across before and a link a while back from Justin Taylor, I have been working my way through a treasure trove of Don Carson messages. I would strongly encourage you to do the same.

I listened to a message on Friday morning entitled "Pentecost" that was fantastic (#3 in the linked page above - stream only). I told one fellow in the church that this is a course in Biblical Theology in a one-hour message. Dr. Carson has a gift for making familiar passages come alive, all the while being true to the text in context.

I thank God for Dr. Carson's ministry. I hope the Lord gives him many more years, books and messages to benefit the church around the world.

1 comment:

Dan Sudfeld said...

Thanks for that encouragement, Terry! I have actually never heard Dr. Carson speak. That is especially disconcerting because he teaches at one of our denominational seminaries.

I will listen, and listen carefully.